Thursday, June 13, 2013

Symphony and Empathy

The symphony lesson today went really well. All of the visuals the group showed us were fantastic. I really enjoyed La Luna, I had never seen that Pixar Short before. Thinking of the metaphors was VERY difficult for me this morning through. I don't know if it was because I am so tired, or that the metaphor portion of the lesson seemed rushed, but I had a hard time. I did like the shadow art, and the ones that were shown were unbelievable! Oh just kept saying "no Way" to all of the photos shown because I just couldn't believe that a pile of stuff could make those shadows! AMAZING! Great lesson!

While reading empathy I just couldn't help thinking of my husbands job. He is a debt collector for people that don't pay their medical bills. I know that there are people out there that don't pay their bills just because they think they can get away with it, but when he comes home and tells me some stories, I can't help but feel bad for some people. There are people that have lost their jobs because of health reasons, and in those situations I know that things go downhill quickly. I know that Corey feels bad for these people ( I know I do) but there is nothing he can do really, it is his job to get te money from him. I just think that that job is a lesson in empathy, or no empathy I guess. I know I would be awful at that job. But, like Pink says, empathy is a quality that is being looked for in todays workforce. I think that teaching empathy would be fairly easy because I do feel like the new generation is a lot more accepting of people a little bit different from them.
Another thing in the chapter I related to was the eavesdropping section, mostly because I do that, I'm a slight creeper sometimes. I don't do it all of the time but when I'm in restaurant that has booths I tend to listen to the people in the booth directly behind me. I don't mean to, but it happens, and I listen to their stories, and get very intrigued. I get sucked into stories of other people.

1 comment:

  1. That is a very interesting about your husband. It would indeed be a difficult job. I was once harassed by a very mean bill collector. I had paid the student loan off but there was a mistake on the schools end, they reported me and a year later I got the most disturbing call. I was in absolute tears by the end. It was eventually resolved when the school was humbled by the canceled check I presented. It would be quite a conundrum for a bill collector and its almost like they need to put on an armor to do what they do. This is a good example of a job description over riding human nature. (not your husband per-say but surely some!) It must be very hard some days.

    ReplyDelete