Saturday, February 15, 2014

Visual Metaphor

Alright, so this is what I have finished so far on my Visual Metaphor.  I have thought a lot this week about how my classrooms affect what my students are learning and how I "structure" my room. I teach 3 levels of 2d art and 3 levels of 3d art at the school that I teach and I always find myself saying to my students and having discussions about making their art their own. Finding new ways to do something that we have practiced, discover a new material, use this tool in a different way. The first thought that I had for a visual metaphor for this was an untouched jungle. That thought hasn't left me so I went for it. I am trying to find a way to tie this into discovery. I like it so far because at first glance this piece looks a little ominous, but the more I look at it I see beauty, and that is how I feel like my students are when I ask them to delve into something new. They are questioning me, they are a little afraid to fail, but most of the time they find out how great it is to try something new to them. Any advice on how to put more of a "Classroom" spin on it would be appreciated. I think, like my students, I am afraid to do something that will ruin it!!

4 comments:

  1. Erika!
    I have returned to sit with you metaphor many times in the past couple of days. Each time I am drawn to a different part of the composition. It is mysterious yet incredibly inviting. What a lovely feeling to have in a classroom! (Well, for me anyway) The light behind the trees is inviting rather than ominous. I have a particular love of trees so it is easy for me to feel really safe in this environment.
    It is interesting you comment on "ruining" it. I would invite you to reflect on that and what "ruining" is. My kiddos used to be afraid of that too, and my response is always, So what? If you add something that doesn't feel right, it is an opportunity to transform it into something else. That discomfort is often a signal that our "comfort zone" is about to expand, like it or not.... So, The piece so far echoes the feeling (I think?) An untouched jungle. Fabulous, what would happen if a part of that jungle were disturbed by a creative idea? Would a cacophony of birds erupt from the trees? What else in is the jungle? I imagine it as a vibrant place but also a place with surprises. Animals are well camouflaged etc....Where do your students fit into this magical place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your metaphor and don't find it ominous at all. I agree, the light from behind the trees draws me in; I want to know what lies ahead...what I will discover. I also couldn't help but think that, being a first year teacher, you, too, are venturing into an untouched jungle. You, the intrepid guide are armed with your educational survival gear. However, nothing quite prepares you for the realness of venturing off, with your students, into that wilderness on your own. Your curriculum is a map, but does it take you and your party where you need to go? What hidden mysteries and treasures are lurking in the depths?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blurry haziness of the piece and the mesmerizing luminosity, I agree with the others that its more enticing than ominous, but then again, nothing entices me more than a little mystery. I know that several people, especially us newbies, alluded to the idea of a journey or an exploration. It certainly feels like that. There's excitement, trepidation, hope, ambition...you hope you packed everything you will need. I love this metaphor though, because if you did take off without something essential, the rich, fertile jungle will surely provide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I love about this untouched jungle is that there is evidence of age and growth on the larger organisms. Like, even though you know that this is a journey into uncharted territory, you also get the feeling that the truth of the jungle has been growing and changing long before you have arrived. This echos the classroom. For, when you walked into your room, it was new territory, but there always exists the truth and evidence of teachers and students whom had been in that jungle already, then you forge new paths through it and just by you being there, you have changed the landscape. I know I leave most of the evidence of the previous teachers and students that had been in that studio. I will have to look a little deeper to find out why... But I'm pulling an Alice here and falling down another rabbit hole .... Mostly, I wanted to say, nice work!! Very cool art and metaphor!

    ReplyDelete