Friday, April 11, 2014

Results of Questioning

So, my lesson went amazingly!! They had so much insight. We started talking about war and huge things like that and got down to small local laws like noise ordinances and curfews. We discussed moral issues versus legal issues and my students were very vocal about making laws based on religious beliefs versus what is best for a country as a whole. It was fantastic. Some things that I would change after reflecting would be to find some crazy laws to bring up that local town have had in effect for years and are outdated. I also think that talking about and reflecting on their part would be to come up with stories as to why those laws needed to be created. It could make for some interesting writing!! We talked a very long time so I had more time to prepare for the next day. I printed off random black and white photographs and had them cut apart and glue together and add text to them, here are the results:





This was the one day project. They are going to be working on a longer "Public Message" piece after this.



3 comments:

  1. I like your students' collages! Were there certain messages they were all trying to convey with their creations? You said you discussed moral vs. legal issues and that your students were vocal about religious beliefs. What exactly did your students say? Did you use any images to provoke thought during this lesson? Did your students' reactions surprise you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my students got the most inspiration from the gas mask image and a lot of them immediately followed the path of war. I think I may leave that one out next time. A lot of the discussion with the moral and legal issues was about how people supporting laws (gay marriage was a popular one) are supporting it because of what they are told in church, not because it would negatively impact society. I showed a lot of Barbara Kruger during this lesson, they seemed to respond very well. I asked them about every image and what the image was saying to them. Almost all of them had something to say about them, it did surprise me a little, but mostly because they are a quiet group and at 8 am it is hard to get much of anything out of them!!

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome! I'm glad you took on such a hot topic. The collages look good. I think your right about the local weird laws, but it could also lighten the mood of the conversation which may or may not be the way you want to go.

    ReplyDelete