Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hats, Hats, Hats!

For the tiger artist weekend the idea that keeps sticking in my head is hats and head dresses. I can't remember the title of the painting but the painting of David and Goliath is what is inspiring this thought. Our guide pointed out that the hat the David is wearing is current with the time of the painting not the time of the subject matter. I found this very interesting. My lesson is still in the works but a thought I had was recreating a painting (a live recreation where the students are the people in the artwork) and having the students make hats/head dresses for the recreation. The hats can fit with the time that the painting was done or from today. This idea doesn't have much to do with Nick Cave so I'll keep trying to think about it and incorporate the two concepts together.
The other idea that I had that did have something to do with Nick Cave were making "sound hats". The hats would obviously have to make some sort of noise. The only thing about this idea is that I really like the idea of having the students collaborate to put together the recreation of an artwork. I did a group project like that a year ago and it was very fun finding the costumes and working with the other students to organize our thoughts.
I just really like hats!!

1 comment:

  1. I too like the idea of recreation and perhaps the students could create "tableau vivant" living representations of a piece of art. they could create costumes that bring it into the contemporary world or like Cave create a whole new imaginative world. Cave creates lots of crazy hats and headdresses. I like the idea of the head gear making sounds too.

    I would like to see you connect your thoughts to the readings. What essential questions would guide your students investigation?

    ReplyDelete